|Deadline||2 August 2019|
|Organisation Type||Private Sector / Organisation|
|Study Local or Abroad?||International|
The Malaysian-American Commission on Educational Exchange (MACEE) is pleased to announce its annual competition for Fulbright grants for graduate level study (Masters or Ph.D degrees) in the United States for FY2020-2021 academic year.
Period of Award
All grants are for periods of one academic year. Degree-track grants may be renewed for a second year. Please note that grant renewals are recommended for approval by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarships Board and are not automatically renewable.
Nature of Award
Awards will be partial grants or otherwise require cost-sharing from the candidate’s home institution, scholarships or other funding from the admitting university or from personal resources. The amount of any specific award will be based upon available funding and other criteria as determined by the academic committee during the selection process. All decisions regarding category and amount of grant shall be final. Similarly, the amount of renewal funding shall be contingent upon financial circumstances affecting the Commission. For graduate degree grants, efforts will be made to retain funding levels from the first to the second year. However, students should not assume this will take place.
Placement of Grantee
Institute of International Education (IIE) will assist applicants in securing placement at a regionally accredited U.S. university and applicants should be accepted by June 1st, 2020.
Fields of Study
Preference will be given to those proposals which are consistent with MACEE’s overall thematic approach for Fulbright awards, emphasizing these general areas of study:
- American Studies
- Malaysian Studies
- Islamic Studies
- Comparative Religion
- Economics and Technology Transfer
- Issues in Contemporary Society
- International Relations
However, students applying for any other field of study than those mentioned above are encouraged to apply, as all highly qualified applicants will be considered. Students applying for MBA should take note that preferences are given to other fields of study.
To be considered for selection under this program, students shall:
- Possess Malaysian citizenship;
- Be in good health;
- Have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with Honors (Hons.) and cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or its equivalent;
- Have a TOEFL* score of at least 100 (iBT) on a test taken no more than two years prior to the time of application (note: certain fields and/or institutions may require a higher score). You should provide the test date if you haven’t taken the test. Please designate your score reports to the Institute of International Education (IIE). Institution code for TOEFL & GRE exam: 2326, GMAT: FOF-4J-28
- Have a GMAT*, GRE*, GRE subject test* with minimum score as required by the institution of your choice.
- Be available for interview in Kuala Lumpur.
- Be prepared to return to Malaysia immediately upon completion of study.
The Following Individuals Are Not Eligible.
- Individuals who are or have already been enrolled in a graduate degree program at an American university and who seek nomination in order to complete said program.
- Individuals who seek nomination in order to complete a second master’s degree or doctoral degree.
- Individuals who intend to pursue internship, residency or research at a U.S. school of medicine, nursing, dentistry or veterinary medicine.
- Individuals who are working or currently studying in USA. To be eligible, applicants MUST have returned to Malaysia at least ONE year before the announcement date (April 21st 2019) for this award.
To apply for this award, applicants must complete the official online application for the Foreign Fulbright Student Program and arrange for all hard copy required documents to be submitted to MACEE. The online application process requires written statements, supplemental documents to be uploaded and the names and email addresses of three referees to be registered. Candidates are also required to arrange for official, hardcopy transcripts to be sent to MACEE office.
Please mail 4 copies of your application to MACEE by August 2, 2019.
Fulbright Malaysian Graduate Study and Research Program
18th Floor, Menara Yayasan Tun Razak
200 Jalan Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
A complete application includes:
- Application form with photographs.
- Certified true copies of university transcript(s) for all years of academic study.
- Certified true copies of degree certificates.
- Copies of TOEFL/GMAT/GRE score reports.
- Most universities require graduate students (regardless of field of study) included a thesis abstract or research paper (translated into English) that was completed during previous university-level studies.
For inquiry please contact Kalis at 03-21668878 or [email protected]
Applicants can get information on U.S. universities (list of schools, etc) from our Educational Adviser at MACEE. Advising sessions are by appointment only, kindly contact MACEE for more information.