|Deadline||31 August 2021|
|Organisation Type||Private Higher Educational Institutions|
|Study Local or Abroad?||Local|
The HWUM James Watt Scholarships offer a life-changing opportunity for potential PhD students to work on most pressing global challenges from an Asian perspective.
The global challenges humanity faces today require a global approach to address them. For 200 years, Heriot-Watt University has been the home for innovators and future shapers who made the world a better place through research and education.
Promoting a thriving, flourishing research community within the globally connected University having campuses in UK, Dubai and Malaysia, we are committed to provide practical and sustainable solutions. We would like to invite you to join our community of research leaders and help us make a difference and create a positive impact.
The HWUM James Watt PhD Scholarships aim at attracting qualified candidates who wish to contribute towards the sustainable world development and address three key topics in Malaysia, including:
- Assessing the impact of positive education in the higher education sector
- Achieving Net-Zero emissions through sustainable and smart technology
- Developing a sustainable ageing society through the provision of future welfare, high-quality services, and innovative solutions
“Join us for #TogetherWeCan change the world”
We seek to provide up to six (6) PhD students at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia with full tuition fees and a generous stipend, offering them with great potential the opportunity to work within their chosen research field with the support of an excellent supervisory team consisting of at least one supervisor from the Malaysia campus and at least one supervisor from the Edinburgh campus.
It should be noted that these prestigious scholarships are extremely competitive with high eligibility requirements, and involve participation in a competition for very limited places.
The start date for funded places is in September 2021.
Successful candidates will receive the following financial support for up to 36 months:
- Full funding for tuition fees
- A stipend of RM36,000 per annum to assist with living costs
- A consumables/professional services fund of RM5,000 per annum.
- A programme of workshops and events delivered by Heriot-Watt’s Research Futures Academy.
- Applications are accepted from talented candidates from Malaysia and worldwide.
- Candidates must hold a first class undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- Candidates with a standalone Master’s qualification must have achieved a distinction.
- Prior to applying, candidates must have made contact with a supervisor at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia who has agreed to supervise them in their selected research project. Please review the James Watt PhD Scholarships – Research Projects (below) with Supervisor's Contact page for more information.
You should submit your application for admission to study at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia through our online admissions system, which will require you to provide:
- Degree transcripts for undergraduate and Masters study
- CV with two referees and their contacts (at least one should be an academic referee)
- A personal statement (max 2 pages), which must outline your academic and research achievements to date, indicate the research project that you are applying for, and explain why you are interested in this project and what are your career aspirations post-PhD)
Candidates please indicate ‘’James Watt PhD Scholarship Scheme” as the Name of Sponsorship or Sponsor under the funding section within the online application form.
Review and Selection
Applications will be reviewed by a two-stage process:
- Schools will review all the applications and select a shortlist of the very best candidates to present to the HWUM Selection Committee for consideration.
- The HWUM Selection Committee will make the final decision. The committee consists of the Director of Research & Enterprise, an Associate Head of School and two members from the Research Management Committee.
Up to six (6) students will be selected from the final interview by our Selection Committee.
The HWUM JWS application deadline for the 2021 entry is 31st August 2021. Candidates who apply by 31st August 2021 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified in September 2021.