|Deadline||15 January 2019|
|Organisation Type||Scholarships for Oversea Studies|
|Study Local or Abroad?||International|
Thousands of students from all around the world apply for higher educational studies in Hungary each year. The number of Stipendium Hungaricum applicants is continuously increasing as well as the number of available scholarship places. In the 2018/2019 round of applications, more than 4100 scholarships were awarded. In the academic year 2019/2020 more than 5000 students can begin their studies in Hungary in the framework of the Stipendium Hungaricum Programme.
The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions. Currently 60 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme throughout 5 different continents and the geographical scope of the programme is spreading each year.
The new Call for Applications 2019/2020 is available and the application surface is open. The deadline for applications is 15 January 2019.
Sending Partners and Available Study Programmes
Applicants are eligible to apply for those scholarship types and study fields that are determined in the educational cooperation programmes in effect between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner. Annex 1 of the Call for Applications contains the list of eligible study programmes determined in these educational cooperation agreements, please click here to download.
- Full degree bachelor studies: agriculture, agricultural water management engineering, architecture and cultural heritage studies, natural science and environmenal science, health science
- Full degree master studies: agriculture, agricultural water management engineering, architecture and cultural heritage studies, natural science and environmenal science, health science
- Full degree one-tier master: medical and health science
- Full degree doctoral studies: in any field of interest
Host Institutions and Institutional Programme Coordinators
Available Host Institutions and Study Programmes
28 Hungarian higher education institutions are engaged in the Stipendium Hungaricum Programme for the 2018/2019 academic year with more than 460 study programmes in foreign languages (414 of them in English language). Study programmes are generally available in English and Hungarian languages, with some programmes offered in German and French as well.
The full list of available study programmes and Host Institutions is accessible on the “Study Finder” section of our website. Please note that only these study programmes can be applied for.
Applicants are eligible to apply only for those scholarship types and study fields that are determined in the educational cooperation programmes in effect between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner. Please see Annex 1 for the full list of available study fields regarding your sending country.
Language of Study Programmes
Applicants are eligible to apply only if they meet the minimum language criteria set by the chosen host higher education institution. Please visit the “Study Finder” section of our website to see the exact language criteria for each study programme!
Provisions Covered by the Scholarship
- Tuition-free education (exemption from the payment of tuition fee)
- Monthly stipend
- non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) - for 12 months a year, until completion of studies. Please see details in section 1.2.1.
- Accommodation contribution
- free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, then the HUF 40 000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.
- Medical insurance
- health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
Please bear in mind that these provisions are only a contribution to the living expenses of the Scholarship Holders. It means that it does not fully cover all the costs of living and the students need to add their own financial resources in order to cover all living expenses in Hungary. All applicants are highly advised to check the expected living expenses both in Hungary and in the city that they wish to live in before applying; please do check our Cost of Living Calculator.
Application Process 2019/2020
- 15 January 2019 (Submitting Application: To TPF and to Sending Partner)
- 28 February 2019 (First Selection Point: Technical check and nomination process)
- Middle of March - end of May 2019 (Second Selection Point: Institutional admission procedure)
- Middle / end of June 2019 (Notification about selection process)
- June - July 2019 (Visa application process)
- Until 30 September 2019 (Arrival to Hungary)
Submitting the Application
Application to Tempus Public Foundation
All applications shall be submitted through the online application system of Tempus Public Foundation. After registration, the applicants are able to access the application surface and upload the required documents. Applications should be submitted, saved applications will not be considered. Please note that no applications will be accepted without the online submission and after the deadline. No hard copies are required. A guide for the online system will be available to download from the www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu website.
The deadline for submitting the complete application package: 15 January 2019 – 23:59 (Central European Time).
The online application system can be reached here: apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu
The information provided on the application – including the study programmes and their order of preference – cannot be changed after the application is submitted! By submitting the application, the applicant declares that all information provided on the online application surface of Tempus Public Foundation – including the content of all uploaded documents – are true and correct to the best of their knowledge and belief.
Application to the Sending Partners
All applications shall also be submitted to the responsible authority of the Sending Partner. Each Sending Partner might have different deadlines and requirements for submitting the application material. Applicants are strongly advised to contact the responsible authority at their Sending Partner as soon as possible and inquire about the exact procedures. For contact details of the responsible authority of the Sending Partner, please visit our website or click here.
The responsible authority of the Sending Partner will review and pre-select the applications. A nomination list, including a reserve list will be forwarded to Tempus Public Foundation by the Sending Partner until the end of February 2019. Applications will be considered only if the applicant is nominated. No other applications will be considered.