|Deadline||15 January 2021, 23:59 (Central European Time)|
|Organisation Type||Scholarships for Oversea Studies|
|Study Local or Abroad?||International|
Mission of the Programme
Hungary provides high quality education with a safe and friendly living environment in the heart of Europe. Hungary is also within the top countries with the highest number of scientific Nobel Prize Winners per capita and numerous scientific inventions from Vitamin C to Rubik’s cube and so on.
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government and is co-ordinated by Tempus Public Foundation since 2015. The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions. Currently more than 70 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme on 5 different continents, and the geographical scope of the programme is spreading each year. The scholarship scheme aims to satisfy the growing demand of international students to study in Hungary, producing increasing numbers since the launch of the programme, and also supporting the overall internationalization of Hungarian higher education.
Available Scholarship Types
Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, doctoral, and non-degree programmes (preparatory and specialisation courses). Please note that this Call for Application is for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s and non-degree programmes only. Please find the Call for Applications for doctoral level here.
Important note: applications are only accepted for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s and nondegree programmes OR for doctoral programmes; therefore please consider carefully your selected programme(s).
|Available Scholarship Types||Duration||Qualifications at the end of programme||Available study modes|
|Full time||partial (exchange)||Full time||partial (exchange)|
|Degree programmes||Bachelor programmes||2-4 years||1 or 2 semesters||BA or BSc degree||certificate of completion||full degree and partial (exchange)|
|Masters programmes||1.5-2 years||1 or 2 semesters||MA or MSc degree||certificate of completion||full degree and partial (exchange)|
|One-tier master programmes||5-6 years||1 or 2 semesters||MA or MSc degree||certificate of completion||full degree and partial (exchange)|
|Non-degree programmes||Preparatory course in Hungarian language||1 year||-||certificate||-||full degree|
|Specialisation courses||1 year||-||certificate||-||full degree|
Note about one-tier master’s programmes: In the Hungarian education system, one-tier master’s programmes cover both the bachelor and the master level of studies; therefore, it is an undivided master programme that results in a master degree. These one-tier programmes are offered in specific study fields such as general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, architecture, law, veterinary surgery, forestry engineering, etc.
Provisions Covered by the Scholarship
- Tuition-free education - exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level: monthly amount of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 120) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- Accommodation contribution - free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance - health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 100,000 (cca EUR 275) a year/person
Please bear in mind that these provisions are only a contribution to the living expenses of the Scholarship Holders. It means that it does not fully cover all the costs of living and the students need to add their own financial resources in order to cover all living expenses in Hungary.
All applicants are highly advised to check the expected living expenses both in Hungary and in the city that they wish to live in before applying; please do check our Cost of Living Calculator by clicking here: http://www.studyinhungary.hu/living-in-hungary/menu/your-costs-of-living.html
The Application Process
- 15 January 2021 submitting application: to TPF and to Sending Partner
- 28 February 2021 First selection point: technical check and nomination process
- middle of March - end of May 2021 Second selection point: institutional admission procedure
- middle/end of June 2021 notification about selection results
- June-July 2021 visa application process
- until 30 September 2021 arrival in Hungary
For full application procedures and scholarship details, please see:
Submitting the Application
Application to Tempus Public Foundation
All applications shall be submitted through the online application system of Tempus Public Foundation. After registration, the applicants are able to access the application system and upload the required documents. Applications should be submitted; only saved applications will not be considered. Please note that no applications will be accepted without the online submission and after the deadline. No hard copies are required. A guide for the online system will be available to download from the www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu website.
The deadline for submitting the complete application:
15 January 2021– 23:59 (Central European Time)
The online application system can be reached here: apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu