Multimedia University (MMU), Johor Campus
Background of institution
Multimedia University (MMU) was established in July 1996. Originally known as Universiti Telekom with a single campus in Melaka, the university’s current name took hold in March 1997, when TM Berhad, its parent corporation, was given the enormous task of establishing a new campus in Cyberjaya that would supply the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) with superior quality knowledge workers. Since then, MMU has produced 60,490 graduates and currently has more than 15,000 students across its three campuses in Melaka, Cyberjaya and Johor with more than 1,500 international students from 70 countries.
MMU offers programmes at the foundation, diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the fields of Engineering, Information & Communication Technology, Creative Multimedia, Cinematic Arts, Business & Management, Finance, Accounting, Law, Life Science, and Strategic Communication.
What makes us special?
MMU is one of Malaysia’s leading private universities with its industry-driven programmes. The Malaysian government – through the Malaysian Qualifications Agency under the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) – has granted MMU Self-Accreditation status, formally acknowledging that the university is a trustworthy institution, whose programmes continuously meet or exceed strict specifications.
MMU has been accorded the status of a Premier Digital Tech Institution by the Malaysian government and The Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) and is now officially recognised as one of the best places in the country to pursue computer and technology- related programmes.
In addition, MDEC’s Malaysia Digital Talent Study 2017 Final Findings by Frost and Sullivan has revealed that MMU graduates are most preferred by IT industries in Malaysia.
On average, more than 90 per cent of MMU’s graduates are able to secure employment within six months of completing their studies.
Research focus areas
MMU established its Digital Futures Research Hub that served as a multi-disciplinary platform for research on the digitalisation of Malaysia’s society. The goal of the hub is to foster innovative, cutting-edge multi-disciplinary research, and to provide outstanding and exceptional quality training for talented young scholars and students through 8 research institutes. The eight research institutes are Digital Cities, Digital Connectivity, Digital Education, Digital Security, Digital Society, Digital Lifestyle, Digital Expression and Digital Enterprise. The hub is a community and industry centric entity, with 20 professor chairs that brings together universities, governmental and industrial research organisations, as well as state and federal governments. Digital Futures Research Hub plays a role as the bridge that connects researchers from various disciplines to share their knowledge, experience and research on issues regarding the digitalisation of society. Being a platform that prides itself as a community and industry centric entity, MMU Digital Futures Research Hub brings together universities, governmental and industrial research organizations, as well as state and federal governments to better equip the society with the knowledge, innovation, experience and skills in shaping a digitalised society.
International student support services and financial assistance
Jeenat Beham Binti Naina Mohamed
Director, International Office (IO)
Ms Lye Boon Ling
Manager, International Office
International recognitions and achievements
- The Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2019 and 2020 has ranked MMU as Top 801 – 1000 while in the QS Asia University Rankings 2019, MMU is ranked as Top 175.
- Malaysia Digital Talent Study 2017 Final Findings by Frost and Sullivan has revealed that MMU graduates are most preferred by IT industries in Malaysia.
- Faculty of Engineering Technology (FET) lecturer, Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr. Ervina Efzan received two awards: Gold Innovator Award 2019 and Special Recognition Award 2019 at Global Women Inventors & Innovators Network (GWIIN) organised by WINTRADE on June 2019 at London.
- Prof Sim and his team were awarded two championships at the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) 2019 held in Geneva, Switzerland for projects entitled “Automated and Computerized Protein Determination in Latex Glove” and “Breast Cancer Classification Assistance through Multilayer Neural Network” on July 2019.
- Dr. Kevin Koay, our alumnus from the Faculty of Engineering (FOE) with his team captured the first black hole image. The success has made Malaysia and MMU extremely proud.
- Mohd. Izzat Mohd. Shukor from Faculty of Computing and Informatics (FCI) competed in International Federation Sports Climbing (IFSC), World Cup Climbing Competition 2019 at Chongqing, China in April 2019. This is one of the qualifying round for Olympics 2020.
- Alang Arif Aqil, Faculty of Creative Multimedia (FCM) student, has contributed bronze medal for Malaysia in the Archery-Compound category at the 18th Asian Games 2018.
- Tan Li Ling, an Accounting student represented Malaysia to compete at the 43rd World Chess Olympiad, Batumi, Georgia.
Click on a programme name for full details.
Multimedia University (MMU), Johor Campus
Persiaran Canselor 1,
Educity @ Iskandar,
79200 Iskandar Puteri
Fax: 07-509 2010
Multimedia University (MMU), Melaka Campus
Fax: 06-231 1072