Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) / The National University of Malaysia
'Inspiring Futures, Nurturing Possibilities'
UKM ranks 98th on the 2012 Times Higher Education list of Top Universities Under 50 Years and is the only Malaysian university to place in the 2012 QS Top 50 Universities Under 50 Years. It stands 58th in the overall 2012 QS Asian University Rankings.
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) also known as The National University of Malaysia was established on May 18, 1970. UKM started operating from Lembah Pantai, Kuala Lumpur in 1970, and in October 1977, it moved to its present location in Bangi, a green valley of 1,096 hectares.
New Building of Centre for Graduate Management
In addition UKM also has a medical campus in Kuala Lumpur which houses the Faculty of Medicine (Pre-clinical), Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry and Faculty of Pharmacy.
UKM Medical Centre (UKMMC), which is located in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur is to meet the needs of medical services education as well as medical research. UKMMC consists of a hospital, the Faculty of Medicine and the Institute of Medical Molecular Research (UMBI).
The University has 13 faculties, and 16 research institutes, offering a wide variety of academic programmes both in the arts and sciences and is home to 2,262 academicians and 7,519 supporting staff.
Currently, UKM has 25,525 students – 14,971 undergraduate students, 10,554 postgraduate students, including 2,985 international students from 57 countries. International students are also taught Malay language as an effort to facilitate the daily life in Malaysia.
In line with its tagline “Inspiring Futures, Nurturing Possibilities” the University attracts international students by offering 170 postgraduate programmes and high-tech research facilities. Education in public universities in Malaysia including Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) is highly subsidised by government.
New Building of Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
On the January 26, 2012 the government granted The National University of Malaysia (UKM) full autonomy. The autonomy given to UKM in effect transfers decision-making powers from federal agencies and the ministry to the university.
UKM offers 75 undergraduates programmes and 264 postgraduates programmes in 13 faculties and 16 research institutes in the following field of studies:
- Economic & Managements
- Health Science
- Information Technology
- Islamic Studies
- Science & Technology
- Social Sciences
UKM Medical Centre – Hospital and Faculty of Medicine
Why Study @ UKM
- Is supported by the Malaysian government as a Research and Autonomous University.
Superior merit with an achievement of Times Higher Education World
(98 from top 100 world universities under 50 years old, 2011-2012).
- Is committed to excellence with an achievement of ranking 31 The QS Top 50 Under 50 years (Universities established since 1962, 2011-2012)
- Proven track record with an achievement of overall ranking 58 in QS Asian University 2012
- Has a strong academic reputation as Malaysia's national university - recipient of the Prime Minister's Quality Award 2006.
- Is supported by Malaysia's largest pool of expertise with PhD qualifications in various field of studies as well as industrial experience.
- Has a wealth of experience in managing quality undergraduate and postgraduate programmes since the 1970's.
- Offers the opportunity to participate in student mobility exchange programmes with top universities
- Has comprehensive on-campus learning facilities in Bangi, Cheras and Kuala Lumpur
- UKM has a green and sustainable campus
UKM'S Faculties, Research Institutes and Centres
- Faculty of Islamic Studies
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Economics and Management
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Information Science and Technology
- Faculty of Dentistry
- UKM-Graduate School of Business (UKM-GSB)
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Institute of The Malay World and Civilisation (ATMA)
- Institute for Environment and Development (LESTARI)
- Institute for Malaysian and International Studies (IKMAS)
- Institute of Microengineering and Nanoelectronics (IMEN)
- Medical Molecular Biology Institute (UMBI)
- Institute of Occidental Studies (IKON)
- Institute of Space Science (ANGKASA)
- Institute of Systems Biology (INBIOSIS)
- Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI)
- Fuel Cell Institute
- Institute of Islam Hadhari (HADHARI)
- Institute of Ethnic Studies (KITA)
- Institute of West Asian Studies (IKRAB)
- South East Asia Disaster Prevention Research Institute (SEADPRI-UKM)
- Institute of Visual Informatics (IVI)
- Institute of Climate Change (IKP)
New Building of UKM-Graduate School of Business (UKM-GSB)
- Centre for General Studies
- Centre for Graduate Management
- Centre for Academic Advancement
- Centre for Research And Instrumentation Management
- Centre for Educational Extension
- Co-Curriculum Accreditation Centre
- Centre for Corporate Planning And Leadership
- Permatapintar National Gifted Centre
- Centre for Collaborative Innovation
- Centre for Youth Empowerment
- Centre for Information Technology
UKM's Facilities & Resources
The Tun Seri Lanang Library is one of the biggest university libraries in Malaysia. It has several branches such as the Law Library, Malay World and Civilisation Library, Dr. Abdul Latiff Library and UKM Medical Centre Library. In addition, most faculties have their own mini libraries. The Tun Seri Lanang Library has a collection of over 2,047,894 volumes of books and journals, e-book, and e-journal.
UKM, university in a garden
Students' Health Centre
The University provides comprehensive health and dental care to all students and their families for a nominal fee. Consultations are made on a walk-in basis or by appointment. In most cases, patients are treated at the health centre for outpatient consultation. However, when necessary, referrals are made to the UKM Medical Centre located in Cheras for continuing treatment.
Sports and Recreation
UKM has excellent sports facilities for its students. In addition, the Danau Golf Club has an 18-hole international standard golf course. There are various facilities on offer at the clubhouse including a gymnasium, seminar rooms, snooker tables, karaoke, a TV room, a Pro Shop and a restaurant. An Olympic-sized swimming pool and two wading pools for children and families are located near the Danau Golf Club. Tennis enthusiasts will find numerous outdoor courts. Facilities for football, sepak takraw, basketball, running track, badminton and indoor sports are also available.
The University owns, operates and maintains a variety of on and off-campus accommodation facilities. All on-campus accommodation is administered by the Housing Unit Office. In UKM, all halls of residence are known as "Kolej" (College).
All on-campus colleges are self-contained, equipped with their own cafeterias, meeting rooms, television and prayer rooms. The room configurations range from single to multiple sharing arrangements. The University also manages a number of off-campus accommodation complexes in the adjacent townships of Bandar Baru Bangi and Kajang. These residential complexes are serviced by bus routes operated by the University. There is also a special hostel for international students called Ibu Zain International Student House.
Mace of UKM in Museum of Academic Heritage
Food and Catering Services
All halls of residence (college) operate cafeterias that offer a variety of local Malay, Chinese and Indian culinary delights.
There are numerous student organisations and associations on campus, focusing on academic related activities, culture, social welfare, sports and professional development catering to students' needs and interests.
Should you have further enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us thru e-mail : [email protected]
Click on a programme name for full details.
Asasi Pintar #Level: Pre-University/Foundation Studies
Fees (Local): 700/Sem
Duration: 2 Sem
|Add to Educart|
Bachelor's Degree Level
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) / The National University of Malaysia
Centre for Corporate Communications
43600 UKM Bangi
Type: Public UniversityTel: 603-8921 4834 / 4911 / 3788
Fax: 603-8921 4097
Ahmad Fauzie, Indonesia
Engineering (Chemical), 2 Years
I am amazed how the Malaysian government pays such close attention to foreign students. UKM is one of the best campuses I have ever seen. It has good facilities and the people are very passionate about expanding their knowledge.
Nutrition & Dietetics (Master’s Programme) 1 Year
• UKM has high quality teaching staff and facilities • The environment of UKM is good