Five Malaysian Universities Make It To The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015-2016
Five Malaysian universities have been ranked for the first time in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015-2016.
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia was ranked in the 401-500 band while four others, namely, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Universiti Sains Malaysia and Universiti Teknologi Mara were in the 601-800 band.
A total of 800 universities from 70 countries were ranked this year—double of the 400 that were ranked the previous year. New countries entering this year include Indonesia, Malaysia, Ghana, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Latvia, Oman, Qatar and the Ukraine.
The top 10 universities globally are:
- California Institute of Technology, USA
- University of Oxford, UK
- Stanford University, USA
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Massachusetts University, USA
- Harvard University, USA
- Princeton University, USA
- Imperial College London, UK
- ETH Zurich-Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Switzerland
- University of Chicago, USA
The top three universities in Asia are (with global ranking in brackets):
- National University of Singapore, Singapore (#26)
- Peking University, China (#42)
- Tsinghua University, China (#47)
Sources for this article include:
- Times Higher Education, “World University Rankings 2015-2016: results announced”
- The Star, “Five varsities make it into Times rankings for first time”