Interview with a Yaw Teck Seng Foundation scholarship recipient
by StudyMalaysia.com on August 15, 2018 | Top Stories
Faery Bin Sapikin is a Yaw Teck Seng Foundation scholar. He pursued a Diploma in Forestry from 2009 to 2012 at University Putra Malaysia, Bintulu Campus and was awarded the Samling Scholarship for the third to sixth semester of his studies (2011-2012).
A: After completing my diploma, I worked for Samling at Lana LPF, Bintulu as a Silviculture Operation Supervisor for three months before continuing my studies at University Putra Malaysia where I pursued a Bachelor of Forestry Science from 2012 to 2016. After that, I continued to work at Samling from March 2016 until July 2017 as a Trainee Executive in Silviculture Operation at Marudi LPF, Miri. From July to September 2017, I worked on Permanent Sample Plot and Enumeration at Marudi LPF. Since October 2017, I have been working on Permanent Sample Plot and Enumeration at Segan LPF, Bintulu.
Receiving the scholarship has greatly supported my studies and career. I received RM3750 per semester and as part of the scholarship agreement, I have a nine-month bond with the Samling Group of Companies. This has given me the opportunity to work with the company right after I finished my studies and thus has enabled me to gain valuable experience.
The Yaw Teck Seng Foundation is set up to provide funds, grants, financial assistance and support for the establishment, enlargement or improvement of schools, universities or other educational establishments. Through scholarship awards, we hope to assist those from disadvantaged backgrounds to realise their academic aspirations.
The scholarship is open to all students studying at local universities who are pursuing the following fields of study:
- Quantity surveying
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Students with at least 7As in SPM or 3As in STPM seeking admission to or currently enrolled at a local university
- Possess a dynamic personality and excellent communication skills
- Hold leadership positions in extra-curricular activities
- Family income below RM30,000 per annum
- Must not be a recipient of any other scholarship award by any other organisation
- Keen to serve in the Samling Group for a specified period upon completion of study
- Open to Malaysian citizens only. Sarawakians are encouraged to apply.
- RM7,500 per academic year for Science
- RM10,000 per academic year for Engineering
How To Apply
Interested candidates need to return the completed application form together with relevant documents to the Human Resource Department, PO Box 368, 98007 Miri, Sarawak before 31 August 2018.
You May Also Be Interested In...
- The government of Malaysia is committed in providing the best and the ...
- Home-grown Diploma with 'Advance Standing or credit transfer arrangeme...
- For PT3 and SPM holders who are interested in technical, vocational, a...
- Got a scholarship interview coming up? Whether you think it’s gonna ...
- We've all heard of “the Useless Degree.” These “career-killer...
- Attention school leavers! Applying for scholarships? Check this list...