TVET diploma holders can now be admitted to bachelor degree programmes at private higher education institutions
by StudyMalaysia on September 10, 2020 | Top Stories
With effect from 21 April, 2020, students who have completed the DKM, DLKM or DVM diploma can apply to gain admission to bachelor degree programmes at private higher education institutions (HEIs).
In an effort to support the government's aim to strengthen the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) sector, the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) has introduced the TVET Single Quality Assurance System that will provide graduates of TVET diploma programmes with a pathway to pursue a bachelor degree programme at private HEIs, or a qualification equivalent to level 6 of the Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF).
Students who can take advantage of this pathway must have completed Diploma Kemahiran Malaysia (DKM), Diploma Lanjutan Kemahiran Malaysia (DLKM) or Diploma Vokasional Malaysia (DVM).
- Private HEIs can enrol DKM, DLKM or DVM* graduates for their bachelor degree programmes (or an equivalent qualification at level 6 of MQF) subject to the approval of the respective university senate or academic board.
(*Must be DKM, DLKM or DVM programmes that are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency or an accreditation board approved by the government of Malaysia.)
- The student can further their studies either in the academic or TVET field
- Private HEIs need to introduce a suitable bridging programme for students who choose this pathway. The bridging programme, which will be implemented in addition to the existing curriculum, should not exceed a year or two semesters
- Private HEIs can approve the transfer of credits at their discretion, subject to the institution’s existing credit transfer policy
- The minimum entry requirements for a bachelor degree programme are:
- Pass the DKM, DLKM or DVM with a minimum CGPA of 2.50, subject to the approval of the respective university senate or academic board OR
- Pass the DKM, DLKM or DVM with a minimum CGPA of 2.00; and possess at least two years’ experience in a related field
Source: Ministry of Higher Education