Your guide to being a university student during and after MCO
by StudyMalaysia.com on June 10, 2020 | Top Stories
Wondering what to expect as a university student in Malaysia during the Covid-19 Movement Control Order? And when are you allowed back on campus? Check out the latest updates from MOHE.
On 27 May 2020, the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) announced that all teaching and learning activities must be done online until 31 December 2020; face-to-face sessions are not allowed.
However, exceptions to the rule apply to these five categories:
With immediate effect, students from public and private universities who are pursuing postgraduate studies in research mode are allowed to resume their research. However, this exclusion applies only to those who need to be physically present at laboratories, workshops and design studios, or those who require specialised equipment to carry out their research.
Final semester and final year students who need specialised facilities
Students in their final semester or final year of certificate, diploma or bachelor degree programmes who need to carry out clinical or practical work, or activities in laboratories, workshops and design studios, or those that need specialised equipment, will be allowed to attend teaching and learning activities on campus as early as 1 July 2020.
Final semester and final year students who do not have access to online learning
Students in their final semester or final year who do not have access to online learning and who need a conducive learning environment are allowed to return to campus as early as 1 July 2020 to use the university’s facilities for online learning.
Special needs TVET students
Special needs students undergoing technical and vocational education and training (TVET) courses at polytechnics and community colleges who need face-to-face guidance due to learning difficulties are allowed to resume teaching and learning activities as early as 1 August 2020.
First year students in the 2020/2021 academic session
- Students entering their first year at certificate, foundation, diploma or bachelor degree level at public and private universities, polytechnics and community colleges will commence their admission in stages.
- Polytechnic and community college certificate and diploma students – as early as 1 July 2020
- Foundation, certificate, diploma and bachelor degree students at private universities – as early as 1 July 2020
- Foundation and diploma students at public universities – as early as 1 August 2020
- Bachelor degree and postgraduate (research mode) students at public and private universities – as early as 1 October 2020
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for higher education institutions
Attendance of all staff and students must be recorded
Staff capacity: max 70%
Student capacity: 3-25%
Social distancing of at least 1m apart must be practised; floors and seats must be marked with an ‘X’ as a guide, tables and chairs placed at least 1m apart
Hand-washing amenities or hand sanitizers must be made available to enable frequent handwashing
Compulsory temperature screening for all staff, students and visitors. Those with a temperature >37.5°C or with symptoms like cough, flu, sore throat or breathing difficulties will not be permitted entry and must be referred for treatment
Cleaning and sanitizing must be carried out frequently
The number of students in classrooms and other learning venues must not exceed 50% of its capacity
Source: MOH, 1 June 2020
Students are reminded that all on-campus activities must adhere to pre-determined SOPs. Safety precautions and social distancing must be practised always.
Source: MOHE, 27 May 2020
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Have you ever wished you could study for a bachelor’s degree while y...
STUDYMALAYSIA Group’s services: Here’s how you can plan for your higher education with StudyMalaysiaSTUDYMALAYSIA has a wide range of resources that aim to help students ...
Applications for public universities, polytechnics and community colleges (academic session 2017/18) to start on 6 February 2017Are you planning to apply for a place at a public university, polytech...
- Sekiranya anda mempunyai kelayakan SPM dan anda merancang untuk mengik...
- Have you ever thought about applying for a scholarship? If you have bu...
- Attention school leavers! Applying for scholarships? Check this list f...