What is logistics management?
by StudyMalaysia.com on April 1, 2016 | Career Guide
Look around you – what objects do you see? Your computer, your smartphone? Perhaps even a pen, a book, and the chair you’re sitting on. Where do these objects come from and how did they end up where they are right now?
Logistics is all about getting things from one place to another. Well, that sounds simple if you’re just driving to the shops and back for a can of soft drink, but logistics is bigger and more impressive than that. The people who work in logistics also need to figure out the fastest and most cost efficient way of moving things from point A to point B.
What is logistics? Watch this video.
Image via Sealand Logistics Solutions
Is a career in logistics for you?
- Am I analytical?
- Am I flexible to work different shifts (various hours of the day, weekends, holidays, etc.)?
- Am I willing to relocate to another city or state for a job?
- Do I like to plan and oversee a process from start to finish?
- Am I good at communicating in person as well as through digital platforms?
- Do I love fast cars, huge ships and powerful trains?
- Am I interested in developing new strategies that help reduce the carbon footprint of the transportation industry?
- Would I enjoy a fast-paced job that may require me to work with people across different time zones?
Careers in logistics
Besides working as a logistician, there are many other jobs in various departments that come together to make things happen:
Image via Morai Logistics Inc.
- So you wanna be a logistics and distribution manager
- Courses and careers in transport services
- What is automotive technology?
Sources used in this article:
- B2B Marketing
- Camcode, Logistics for Kids: Students’ Guide to Career Exploration in Logistics
- Morai Logistics Inc, Top 10 Logistics and Supply Chain Facts of 2014
- Prospects – Job profiles