Choosing The Right Pre-University Programme: AUSMAT, SACE, NSW HSC
by StudyMalaysia.com on January 22, 2018 | Top Stories
If you have an SPM qualification and you are planning to pursue a bachelor degree, you would most likely need a pre-U qualification to gain admission to a university or college. So which pre-U programme should you choose?
Australian Matriculation Programme (AUSMAT)
AUSMAT is administered by the Curriculum Council of Western Australia. The entry requirement is SPM, O-level certificate or its equivalent, with a minimum of five credits including Science and Mathematics. Student intakes are in January and March. Students sit for the Tertiary Entrance Examination (TEE), which occurs once a year, in the first week of November.
Students are required to take five subjects including one English subject, that is, either English as an Additional Language (EAL/D) or English*. The other four subject options can be chosen from the list below:
- English as an Additional Language (EAL/D) or English*
- Business Management & Enterprise
- Accounting & Finance
- Mathematics 3A/3B
- Mathematics 3C/3D
- Mathematics Specialist 3C/3D
SACE International (formerly known as the South Australian Matriculation (SAM) programme) is an internationally-recognised Australian pre-university matriculation programme. The graduates are issued the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE) by the SACE Board of South Australia, the Government of South Australia.
Students taking the SACE programme must complete five subjects, including one subject from List 1 and at least one subject from List 2.
|List 1||List 2|
|English as Second Language Studies||Biology|
|Legal Studies||Information Technology Studies|
In addition, students must achieve a satisfactory score (10/20 or better) in either English as Second Language Studies, or English Studies. Other subjects are Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, IT, Psychology, etc. The usual intake for the 10-month SACE International programme is in January and the minimum qualification for admission is the SPM/O-level certificate or equivalent, with at least five credits totalling not more than 30 points, including credits in English and Mathematics or Science.
Like AUSMAT, the SACE International programme gives students an ATAR score that is used as a selection criterion for students applying for a bachelor degree course in Australia and different parts of the world.
New South Wales Higher School Certificate (NSW HSC)
The New South Wales HSC is the final year matriculation programme in New South Wales, Australia and is also widely recognised internationally. With the HSC qualification, students will also obtain an ATAR score used for university admission.
Students are required to take a total of five subjects including English as Second Language*. Some of the subjects offered are:
- English as Second Language*
- Mathematics Extension 1
- Mathematics Extension 2
- Information Processes and Technology
- Business Studies
Advantages of AUSMAT, SACE and NSW HSC:
- These programmes take less than a year to complete.
- The qualifications are accepted by many renowned universities in Australia, the UK, the US, Canada, Singapore, New Zealand, and private universities in Malaysia as an admission criterion into their undergraduate programmes.
- Less stress for students during the final exam as 50% of the students’ grade comes from continuous assessment of coursework and tests.
- Students’ achievements are determined using a variety of assessment techniques.
Here’s a summary of Australian pre-U programmes offered in Malaysia.
|Name of pre-university programme||Qualification awarded by||Intake(s)||Duration||Examination|
|Australian Matriculation Programme (AUSMAT)||Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE), Government of Western Australia||January||10 months||first week of November for all intakes|
|SACE International (formerly known as SAM)||South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE), Board of South Australia||January||11 months||November|
|New South Wales Higher School Certificate (NSW HSC)||Higher School Certificate issued by the Board of Studies, New South Wales||January||11 months||October / November|
Note: The intakes listed are possible intake dates from the some PHEIs. Please check for intakes at the PHEI you are interested in as some may offer fewer intakes in a given year.
Offered by: First City University College
Offered by: Sunway College KL
Offered by: Taylor's College - Subang Jaya Campus
Offered by: Taylor's College, Sri Hartamas
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: Foundation Studies
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: A levels
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: IB Diploma
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: CIMP
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: STPM
You May Also Be Interested In...
- “I want to study abroad but I can’t afford it.” How many of y...
- Let's get down to business! A business degree is the most popular choi...
- At university, you’ll be surrounded by peers your age and left with ...
- The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) announced the results of MyQUE...
- What are your options after SPM? Choosing the right institution and co...
- We've all heard of “the Useless Degree.” These “career-killer...