Choosing The Right Pre-University Programme: CIMP
by StudyMalaysia.com on January 18, 2018 | Top Stories
If you have an SPM qualification and you are planning to pursue a bachelor degree, you would most likely need a pre-U qualification to gain admission to a university or college. So which pre-U programme should you choose?
Canadian International Matriculation Programme (CIMP)
CIMP is the final year of the secondary school programme in Ontario, Canada. It has become the largest Canadian matriculation programme in the world and is designed based on the course guidelines and standards of the Ministry of Education and Training of the Ontario Province. Students will obtain the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) upon completion of the programme.
Students take a total of six subjects which include one English subject, that is, either ENG4E or ENG4U. Subject options include Business Studies (Financial Accounting Principles, International Business Fundamentals, Business Leadership: Management Fundamentals); Computer Studies (Communications Technology); Mathematics (Mathematics of Data Management, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors); Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics); and Social Science (World Issues: A Geographic Analysis, World History: The West and The World, Individuals and Families in a Diverse Society, Challenge and Change in Society, Analysing Current Economic Issues).
This could be course for you if you prefer continual and consistent assessment. You’ll also have a chance to take more responsibility for your own learning process, choosing the areas you want to participate in for a compulsory 10-hour community service. You will have plenty of opportunity for discussion and debate; your attendance in class is important as you’ll need to be there for you to be assessed continually.
- CIMP can be completed in 12 months or less.
- Besides Canada, the qualification is accepted globally – students who have obtained the OSSD in Malaysia have gone on to pursue a bachelor degree in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Jordan, Korea, New Zealand, Pakistan, Russia, Singapore, Sweden, the Netherlands, the UK, and the US.
Here’s where you can study the CIMP:
Students typically take three to four subjects. Here are examples of subjects offered in Malaysia:
|Science subjects||Biology, Chemistry, Physics|
|Mathematics||Mathematics, Further Mathematics|
|Humanities||Accounting, Computer Science, Psychology, Law, Economics, Literature in English, Business Studies, Global Perspectives and Research, Thinking Skills (at AS level only)|
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: Foundation Studies
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: A levels
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: IB Diploma
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: AUSMAT, SACE, NSW HSC
- Choosing the right pre-university programme: STPM