Welcome to the Postgraduate Channel.
Postgraduate study is significantly important when you aim to reposition your career or to begin scientific research.
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
UTM IN BRIEF
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) is a leading university in Malaysia that has earned a respectable reputation as the premier university of engineering and technology. It is a prestigious institution that continuously makes an impact in the scientific and technological field through the unified and concerted efforts of its dynamic and proactive staff and students. Through its reputation for innovative education and cutting-edge research, UTM is proud to be at the forefront of technological and professional qualification.
There are about 17,000 full-time undergraduate students and 6,326 postgraduate students studying at UTM. About 5,000 more students are enrolled in distance learning programmes and part-time studies. The University comprises 1,886 full-time academic staff and 2,061 support staff. Having produced more than 200,000 technical graduates and qualified professionals over the years, UTM graduates have played a pivotal role in technological and infrastructure development of the country.
The increasing number of research done and smart partnerships established with other leading research and academic institutions both locally and abroad has assisted UTM in maintaining its competitiveness in providing relevant education and training for all its students. To date, UTM has won 148 research medals and awards which include the National Young Scientist Award, the National Inventor’s Award, Expo Science and Technology Award and the National Intellectual Property Award. From that, 55 international awards were received from the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Australia, South Korea, Germany and the United States of America.
UTM is proud to be the centre of excellence through its dedication to develop science and technology to compete in the global arena. Our committed professional and technical staff provide support to the postgraduate programmes and continuing education, as a preparation to meet the challenges of the millennium. UTM has established many Centres of Excellence and world class laboratories such as the Institute of Environmental & Water Resource Management, Ibnu Sina Institute of Fundamental Science, Chemical Engineering Pilot Plant, Aeronautics Engineering Laboratory and Marine Technology Centre, Advanced Information Technology Institute, Institute of High Voltage and High Current, Wireless Communication Centre, and the Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics. In addition to these centres, the Centre of Advanced Software Engineering, the Business Advanced Technology Centre, and the International Business School offer postgraduate programmes at the UTM International Campus, Kuala Lumpur.
SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES
The School of Graduate Studies (SPS) promotes and advances outstanding achievement in graduate education at UTM. It ensures the quality and integrity of UTM graduate programmes and this entails that students are provided with academic training of the highest standard in research and other scholarly activities. Its mission is to provide leadership in ensuring excellence in graduate education and support for student success.
The role of SPS includes the following:
- Support the mission of the university to become a world class centre of academic and technological excellence
- Formulate policies pertaining to the development of graduate studies
- Steer the Postgraduate Committee and coordinate with academic faculties to develop and enhance the quality of graduate education
- Maintain the integrity in graduate education practice across all departments and centres at UTM
- Cooperate with other departments of the University to ensure that facilities are available to meet both the academic and social needs of graduate students
- Facilitate staff and student training sessions on aspects of graduate education
- Innovate new initiatives in graduate education to face new challenges
Now, the university, through SPS, has a wide range of more than 200 postgraduate programmes in engineering and technology served by more than 770 committed graduate faculty members with minimum PhD academic qualifications or Associate Professor positions, while possessing broad international exposure.
ACADEMIC SUPPORT AND SERVICES FOR STUDENTS
There are various academic support and services for students in the university:
- A library, certified with ISO19002 which probably has the most comprehensive collection on science and technology comprising books, journals, reports, directories, statistics, audio-visuals and the most up-to-date electronic databases on various disciplines of knowledge. The wealth of electronic resources in the collection includes e-journals, e-books, e-newspapers, e-thesis, e-references, e-examination papers and others.
- The Centre for Information and Communication Technology (CICT) which has the largest computer hall in the country. CICT also supports more than 2,000 internet-connected computers available to all students in open-access computer laboratories throughout UTM, in the library and in residential colleges.
- The Health Centre which offers a wide range of services, including outpatient, minor surgery, examination and isolation wards for students who need special medical attention. Dialysis and dental services, with complete facilities are also available.
- Fully air-conditioned lecture halls and rooms.
- Well-equipped engineering and science laboratories and workshops as well as digital language laboratories
- Well-equipped sports facilities consisting a sports complex that comes complete with squash courts, badminton courts and indoor games hall. UTM also provides football fields and facilities for tennis, sepaktakraw, basketball, volleyball, rugby, football, hockey, equine, archery, wall climbing and water-sports. The majority of the courts are located in the vicinity of the residential colleges.
- In-campus accommodation for about 20,000 students and 200 apartments for students with family.
The various student support services are as follows:
Student support and services are provided and managed by the Office of Student Affairs. The University aims to provide students with a conducive environment for learning and personal development. The Office of Student Affairs acts as a one-stop agency for services related to health, accommodation, financial aid, students’ social and general welfare and other student-related matters. UTM encourages student activities through various clubs and societies. Student activities include leadership development programmes, entrepreneurship, study tours, seminars and conferences, workshops, forums, debates, sports and community services. The University’s Student Support Service Unit offers professional counselling by fully qualified and experienced counsellors who work within a strict code of confidentiality.
There are approximately 50 catering outlets across the campus including air-conditioned restaurants, cafeterias, fast-food restaurants, sidewalk cafés and open air hawker-styled cafés selling a wide variety of food including traditional Malay, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Middle-eastern and Western cuisines. The University also provides transportation services for students to commute from their on-campus residential colleges to classes. For financial services, there is a bank with more than 10 ATMs operating on the campus.
For international students, the following support services are provided by the International Students Centre (ISC):
- Visa and immigration assistance
- Student pass
- On-campus and off-campus accommodation
- Airport reception and welcoming programme
- Orientation programmes
- Study visits to interesting places in the country
- Social activities such as family day, picnic outings and visits
- Students exchange programmes
ACADEMIC INFORMATION FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
Mode of Study
Students may register the programme by one of the three modes of study:
- Taught Course
- By Research
- Mixed Mode, a combination of Taught Course and Research
There are two admissions in a year, i.e. the July and December intake. The academic year runs from July to April. It is divided into two 18- week semesters with a holiday break in-between.
Types of Registration
There are two types of registration - full-time and part-time. Full-time students spend most of their time on their studies and thus are not usually in full-time employment. Part-time students are allowed to take fewer number of credits per semester and take a longer duration to complete them. A full-time student is allowed to register up to 20 credits of courses or 800 hours of research per semester. Part-time students on the other hand may register up to 12 credits of courses or 480 hours of research per semester. Lectures for mainstream taught courses are conducted during normal working hours. Lectures for off-campus programmes are usually conducted after office-hours or during weekends.
FACULTIES AND CENTRES
Faculties and Centres which offer postgraduate programmes are:
Faculties under the School of Graduate Studies (Engineering)
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Chemical and Natural Resources Engineering
- Faculty of Biomedical Engineering and Health Science
Faculties under the School of Graduate Studies (Science and Technology)
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Geoinformation Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Computer Science and Information Systems
- Faculty of Biosciences and Bioengineering
- Faculty of Built Environment
Faculties and Centres under the School of Graduate Studies (Social Science)
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Management and Human Resource Development
- Faculty of Islamic Civilization
- College of Science and Technology
- International Business School
- Business and Advanced Technology Centre
- Applications must be made on-line via the School of Graduate Studies’ official website (www.sps.utm.my)
- Please upload online or mail copies of degree/diploma certificates,
transcripts, identity card/passport, two (2) passport-sized
photographs to the
DEAN, SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES,
UNIVERSITI TEKNOLOGI MALAYSIA,
81310 UTM SKUDAI,
- A processing fee of RM20.00 (Malaysian citizens) / USD30
(Malaysian PR / International applicants) must be made through
one of the following methods:
- By cash (in MYR only) at the School of Graduate Studies Office, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Skudai or UTM International Campus Jalan Semarak Kuala Lumpur.
- By cheque / bank draft / cashier’s order
Pay to : Bendahari, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Account Number : 0118-0000002-05-4
- By Electronic Fund Transfer
Bank Swift Code : CIBBMYKL
Bank : CIMB Bank Berhad
Bank Address : Ground Floor, Student Union Building,
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia,
81310 UTM Skudai, Johor
For account of : Bendahari Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Account Number : 0118-0000002-05-4
Amount : Please state the amount included
- By CIMBClicks or other local (Malaysia) internet banking
Pay to : Bendahari, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Account Number : 0118-0000002-05-4
If the application is intended for a PhD degree or master’s by research, the applicant is required to prepare a brief research proposal (about 3-5 pages) and submit it together with the application form.
- A bachelor’s degree with good honours in a relevant field from UTM or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the Senate; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree and experience in the related field recognised by the Senate.
Doctor of Philosophy
A master ‘s degree in relevant fields from UTM or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the UTM Senate.
A master‘s degree in relevant fields from UTM or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the Senate; or equivalent qualifications together with experience in the relevant field recognised by the UTM Senate.
Doctor of Software Engineering
A master ‘s degree in IT/SE/CS/CE/Engineering from UTM or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the UTM Senate, with related working experience in ICT.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
- Foreign candidates who intend to write their thesis in English or intend to enrol in graduate programmes conducted in English are required to attain a general minimum score of 550 for the TOEFL or a Band 6.0 for the IELTS as a prerequisite for entry into graduate programmes at UTM. Provisional admission may be granted to an applicant who obtained a minimum score of 450 for TOEFL or band 4.0 for IELTS or its equivalent.
- UTM offers an Intensive English Course (IEC). Please check the website for eligibility.
- You may also enrol in UTM IELTS Preparatory Class (IPC) to prepare for the IELTS examination.
- You could also find an English Language Support Programme (ELSP), MyLinE at UTM to support your English learning.
SCHOLARSHIP AND ASSISTANTSHIP
The following scholarships and assistantships are available for postgraduate students:
- Research Student Grant (RSG) - for Malaysian and international students
- Teaching Assistantship Scheme (TAS) - for Malaysian and international students
- National Science Fellowship (NSF) - for Malaysians only
- Postgraduate Fellowship Scheme (PGD) - for Malaysians only
- Fee Reduction - for Malaysians and international students
The International Student Centre (ISC) of UTM’s Office of International Affairs helps international students adjust to life at UTM, and make the most of what UTM has to offer through a host of services and activities. Some 2,700 international students representing more than 40 countries call UTM home.
ISC provides support and services to help UTM international students before and after arrival to adjust seamlessly into the academic system in UTM and to adapt smoothly to the Malaysian culture and tradition. This is to ensure a conducive learning environment and an experience that is enjoyable, safe, and successful. The ISC office also provides programmes and resources for internationallyminded students looking for opportunities both inside and outside of Malaysia. Our Study Abroad and Student Exchange Programmes make studying abroad affordable and accessible. The ISC office provides opportunities for all UTM students to internationalise their education and gain cross-cultural experiences.
- Education (Teacher Training & Education Sciences)
- Arts & Design
- Languages (National language & other languages)
- Social Sciences
- Business Management & Administration
- Science (Life Science/Physical Science/Applied Science)
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Computing & IT
- Engineering & Engineering Trades
- Architecture & Building
- Medicine & Healthcare
- Social Services