|Deadline||17 May 2021|
|Organisation Type||Government Agencies|
|Study Local or Abroad?||International|
The ASEAN-China Young Leaders Scholarship Program (ACYLS) is an initiative in response to the call of the Leaders of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and ASEAN Member States (AMS) to increase people-to-people exchanges, strengthen educational cooperation and promote academic exchanges and linkages between AMS and the PRC. It aims to foster socio-cultural and people-to-people exchanges to build a closer ASEAN-China community with a shared future.
ACYLS is a merit-based scholarship program funded by the Chinese government, which will support ASEAN nationals, particularly young and promising leaders with working experience, to study for Master’s or doctoral degrees, undertake short-term (4-5 months) research programs, and participate in training courses in top Chinese universities.
It will provide a rare and unique opportunity for ASEAN professionals and future leaders to enrich their knowledge, broaden their horizon, develop work skills, and improve their competitiveness while enhancing their life experiences by living and related expenses such as:
- tuition and other school fees,
- round-trip international air fare,
- comprehensive medical insurance, and
Due to uncertainties posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the courses may still be offered online, and will be resumed in the normal offline format when the situation turns for the better and the policies of border entry for international students are relaxed. The living allowances during the online studies will be compensated to the students upon their arrival in China. The one-semester research program for this coming September will be suspended and the quotas are open for the Spring and Autumn semesters in 2022.
Applicants of ACYLS should meet the following criteria:
- Citizen of an ASEAN Member State (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Viet Nam);
- In sound physical and mental health;
- Proficient in English (i.e., must possess an IELTS score of at least 6.0 or a TOEFL score of at least 80 points);
- Holder of an undergraduate degree and under the age of 45 if applying for a master’s degree;
- Holder of a graduate/master’s degree and under the age of 45 if applying for a PhD degree;
- Holder of at least an undergraduate degree if applying for the short-term research program;
- Having at least one-year work experience within government agencies, public or private institutions, universities, think-tanks or similar social agencies, and preferably has experience in the following:
- work related to foreign and international affairs, especially ASEAN and China-ASEAN affairs;
- work or study in the PRC;
- academic work on China or ASEAN-related affairs;
- Not a concurrent awardee of a Chinese government scholarship;
- Meets other admission requirements of the Chinese universities to which the applicant has applied.
- Applicants must register online and submit their applications, including related documents, through http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org by clicking on "Scholarship Application for Students."
- Hard copies of the application form and relevant documents should also be prepared and submitted to the Ministry of Higher Education by post at
Bahagian Hubungan Antarabangsa
Kementerian Pengajian Tinggi
Aras 14, No. 2, Menara 2
Jalan P5/6, Presint 5
62200 W.P. Putrajaya
- Applications are now open and the deadline for submission is 17 May 2021.
- For details on the eligibility of applicants, schools and majors open for application and documents required for application, please refer to the Guidebook of ACYLS.