Institution On Focus
KBU International College (KBU) is a private education institution established in 1990 by the First Nationwide Group, owner and the developer of the 1,000-acre fully-integrated township of Bandar Utama, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
KBU has a purpose-designed campus that sits on a 13-acre site within Bandar Utama. State-of-the-art teaching and learning facilities as well as a comprehensive range of sports and recreational facilities are made available for students. Students at KBU will therefore experience and benefit from a campus environment that is very conducive for study and to receive a holistic education.
To be a premier private higher education institution offering multidisciplinary quality programmes at certificate, diploma, degree and postgraduate levels to both local and international students.
To provide the highest standard of tertiary education in a national and international context.
A majority of programmes conducted at KBU have been awarded the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) status. All the UK degree programmes are fully franchised from foreign universities (100% foreign partners' syllabi).
Full accreditation by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) is given to :
- All pre-university (A-Levels and AUSMAT) programmes
- Four out of five foundation programmes
- Seven out of eight diploma programmes
- Eight out of nine UK 3+0 degree programmes
School of Engineering & Computing
Department of Engineering
The Department of Engineering offers Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Computer & Network Engineering degree programmes in collaboration with Sheffield Hallam University, UK.
Students who have obtained their SPM / GCE 'O' Level or equivalent qualification can pursue the 3-semester foundation programme in Engineering, Science & Technology. Upon successful completion, students can advance to the following programmes :
- BEng (Hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering (3+0)
- BSc (Hons) Computer & Network Engineering (3+0
Students with pre-university qualifications such as STPM, GCE A-Levels, AUSMAT or equivalent who have fulfilled the entry requirements may enter directly into the degree programmes at KBU.
The Electrical & Electronic Engineering degree programme covers aspects of electrical, electronic and communications engineering. The BSc (Hons) Computer & Network Engineering, on the other hand, links various types of software, hardware, protocols and standards used to allow computers to communicate and the need for different skills.
Other Programmes Offered
- Diploma in Electronic Engineering
- Diploma in Mechatronic
Department of Computing
The Department of Computing offers a 3-semester NCC Education International Diploma in Computer Studies for students with SPM / 'O' Level or equivalent qualifications as a foundation programme for admission to the following computing programmes :
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering (3+0)
- BSc (Hons) Information & Communications Technology (3+0
BSc (Hons) Software Engineering provides students with a good combination of skills required to design and develop robust quality software.
The BSc (Hons) Information & Communications Technology degree is aimed at providing the essential knowledge and skills necessary to advance students careers into field of ICT. These two degree programmes are in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK.
Other Programmes Offered
Diploma in Information Technology School of Business, Hospitality & Tourism Management
The School offers business programmes at Certificate, Foundation, Diploma, Degree and Masters levels.
The School of Business offers a 3-semester Foundation in Business Administration and Diploma in Business Administration and diploma programmes which are specially designed for students with qualifications in SPM / GCE 'O' Level or equivalent. Students who have completed the foundation programme, STPM, GCE A-Levels, AUSMAT or other pre-university qualifications and have fulfilled the entry requirements may enter the following degree programmes :
- BA (Hons) Business Management (3+0)
- BA (Hons) Marketing (3+0)
- BSc (Hons) Accounting & Finance (3+0
The School offers a three-year full-time study programme leading to the award of Anglia Ruskin University's BA Honours Business Management, Marketing and BSc Honours Accounting & Finance programmes.
KBU International College also offers its very first postgraduate programme, the MBA awarded by Ashcroft International Business School (AIBS) of Anglia Ruskin University, UK, designed for executives and senior managers who are looking to reach new levels of success.
- Master of Business Administration
Recognising the demand in the thriving hospitality and tourism industry, KBU also offers the BSc (Hons) Tourism and Hospitality Business Management in collaboration with the Sheffield Hallam University, UK. Aspired to produce industry-ready graduates who are equipped with specialised knowledge and skills, the College is providing a mix of business skills and operational understanding of hospitality industry that employers look for.
Other Programmes Offered
- Certificate in Business Administration
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Mass Communicatio
School of Design
The School of Design offers programmes conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. It conducts the Foundation in Art & Design for students with SPM, GCE 'O' Level, STPM, GCE 'A' Level, UEC or equivalent qualifications. The 3-semester programme provides a general art and design education that enables students to gain experience in practical studio work and equip them for degree programmes.
After the foundation programme, students who have fulfilled the entry requirements may proceed to the following degree programmes :
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design (3+0)
- BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design (3+0
The BA (Hons) Graphic Design programme helps students to develop a wide range of skills and trains them to become adaptable and versatile designers who can face up to the exciting challenges. The BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design students will be exposed to form, space, order, colour, material, structure, and proportion, a sense of creativity and appreciation of 3-dimensional design in interior spaces. Both degree programmes are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Other Programmes Offered
- Diploma in Interactive Design
- Diploma in Interior Design
- Diploma in Advertising Desig
Matriculation Studies Centre
Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT)
The Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT) is a 10-month pre-university programme admitting students with the Malaysian SPM, GCE 'O' level or equivalent qualification. It consists of 50% external examination and 50% coursework. This qualification is recognised by most universities around the world for its degree programmes.
The A-Levels offered at KBU is awarded by the London Examinations / Edexcel International, UK.
The London Examinations GCEs taken overseas
are exactly the same as the examinations in the UK, so candidates are awarded the same certificate at the same standard, wherever they are in the world. The examination body has been recognised for the high quality of its examinations and assessments. KBU offers the option of science and arts-based subjects to give students a wider choice of disciplines to pursue at undergraduate levels. Students with the appropriate subject combination can be accepted into art & design, business, computing and engineering degree programmes at KBU.
Foundation in Science
The Foundation in Science run at KBU is developed with input from International Medical University (IMU). The one year (3 semester) foundation programme will be based on examination and coursework equally and focuses on subjects like Biology, Chemistry, English, Physics and Mathematics which are essential for science students. Students will be taught by a team of dedicated and experienced lecturers from KBU in a conducive learning environment and monitored by the standards set by IMU.
Students pursuing Foundation in Science will be able to gain direct entry to variety of undergraduate programmes at International Medical University (IMU).
The Centre offers Intensive English Programme (IEP), TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), IELTS Preparatory Course and German Language.
Academic Facilities & Resources
KBU provides excellent academic and recreational facilities such as :
- Fully-equipped engineering laboratories - (Digital Lab, Analogue Lab, Power & Control Lab, Microprocessor & Electronic CAD Lab, Mechatronics Lab, and EDA Lab)
- Computer Centre that houses the Multimedia Lab, Macintosh and PC-based Art & Design Lab, as well as the Digital Language Lab
- A library
- Lecture theatres with audio visual facilities
- A hostel within walking distance of the college provides accommodation for students
- Well-equipped facilities such as training restaurant, food production lab, commercial kitchen and mock set-ups for front-office, hotel room and travel agency office
- Air-conditioned multi-purpose hall with four indoor badminton courts
- Outdoor sports facilities such as football field; basketball and volley ball courts
- Music room
- Access to KBU's UK partner universities' e-libraries through the Internet
- State-of-the-art video conferencing facilities for two-way on-line communication with KBU's partner universitie
Student Support Services & Student Development Activities
KBU's Student Services Department assists students in finding suitable accommodation and manages various student clubs and societies as well as student activities. Other services offered include programme and career counselling, travel assistance and assisting foreign students with their visa applications.
Scholarship & Financial Aid
- Merit Scholarships for SPM / STPM / UEC / A-Levels / AUSMAT Students
- Scholarships for Student Leaders and Top Office Bearers
- Sports Scholarships
- Sibling Incentive
- Children of Government School Teachers Incentive
- Teo Soo Cheng Foundation Scholarships
- Sin Chew Education Fund Scholarships
- Nanyang Education Fund Scholarships
- The Sun-MAPCU Scholarships
- Book Prizes
- Nottingham Trent University Vice-Chancellor
Scholarships Recognition & Achievements
Awarded the 'Special Award' by the Private Education Department, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia for :
- The most number of First Class Honours students in 3+0 programmes
- The highest number of MQA accredited 3+0 programmes in Malaysia
- Excellence in Student Internationalisation
- First batch of Malaysian private colleges to be awarded the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) Status
- First batch of private college to receive approval to conduct degree programmes under the '3+0' mode
- First private college to receive the highest number of MSC Status programmes under a single approval
- First private college in Malaysia to sign MOU with IBM to jointly work together under IBM System Z ™ Academic Initiative Programme
- First private college in South East Asia to be equipped with the state-of-the-art Mentor Graphics software running on SUN workstation (worth more than RM 8 million)
- 1st and ONLY centre in South East Asia approved by the Nottingham Trent University, UK, to conduct the University's honours degree programmes in Graphic Design and Interior Architecture & Design
View Archives of OnFocus
- Nov 2014 - Institution On Focus
- July 2014 - Institution On Focus
- Nov 2013 - Institution On Focus
- Oct 2013 - Institution On Focus
- Jul 2013 - Institution On Focus
- Nov 2012 - Institution On Focus