Studying for a home-grown Malaysian bachelor
by StudyMalaysia on December 16, 2016 | Top Stories
Are you planning to study for a bachelor's degree in Malaysia? There are a few types of qualifications offered by private universities and university colleges in this country. Generally, these are the types of qualifications that are offered by home-grown universities:
- Internal degree qualification
- Joint award degree qualification
- Dual-award degree programme
Internal degree qualifications are qualifications awarded by Malaysian home-grown private universities and university colleges which are approved by Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. These courses are also duly accredited by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
Table: Examples of reputable private universities and university-colleges in Malaysia that offer quality home-grown bachelor’s degree programmes
|No.||Private university & university college||
|1.||Berjaya University College of Hospitality||2007||Kuala Lumpur|
|2.||Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences||2005||Selangor|
|3||First City University College||2015||Selangor|
|4.||HELP University||2004/2011||Kuala Lumpur|
|5.||Infrastructure University Kuala Lumpur||2003/2012||Kuala Lumpur|
|6.||International University of Malaya-Wales||2013||Kuala Lumpur|
|7.||Kuala Lumpur Metropolitan University College||2007||Kuala Lumpur|
|8.||Management & Science University||2001/2007||Selangor|
|9.||Manipal International University||2010||Negeri Sembilan|
|11.||Nilai University||2007/2012||Negeri Sembilan|
|14.||Tunku Abdul Rahman University College||1969/2013||Kuala Lumpur/Penang/Johor/Perak/Pahang/Sabah)|
|14.||UCSI University||2003/2008||Kuala Lumpur/Terengganu/Sarawak|
|14.||Universiti Tenaga Nasional||1999||Putrajaya/Pahang|
|15.||Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman||2002||Selangor/Perak|
Source: Study in Malaysia Handbook (10th international edition, by Challenger Concept)
In joint degree undergraduate programmes, private HEIs and their partner universities jointly award one higher education qualification to students who successfully complete the programme. The joint degree programmes offered through the following collaborations are among the many examples.
- Sunway University and UK’s Lancaster University
- Asia Pacific University of Technology and UK’s Staffordshire University
- HELP University and Australia’s Flinders University jointly offer Bachelor of Psychological Science (Hons)
In a dual-award degree programme, a student can pursue one degree programme and graduate with two degree qualifications (one degree certificate from the Malaysian university and the other from the overseas university-partner) at the cost of one degree, without leaving Malaysia.
Examples of some reputable home-grown universities that offer dual-award degree programmes:
- SEGi University collaborates with University of Abertay Dundee, a British university, for the dual-award undergraduate degree programmes for accounting, business management, IT, and environmental technology
- SEGi University collaborates with University of Sunderland, UK, for the dual-award undergraduate degree programmes for electrical and electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, hospitality management and business
- SEGi University collaborates with University of St Mark and St John, UK for the dual-award undergraduate degree programmes for education, mass communication, English & PR
- SEGi University collaborates with University of Greenwich, UK for the dual-award undergraduate degree programme for civil engineering
- Sunway University collaborates with Lancaster University, UK for the dual-award undergraduate degree programmes for accounting and finance, business studies, business management, marketing, communication, digital film production, IT, psychology and medical biotechnology
Sources for this article include:
- Study in Malaysia Handbook (10th International Edition), published by Challenger Concept)
- Education Guide Malaysia (14th Edition), published by Challenger Concept)
- Information from various PHEIs
You May Also Be Interested In...
- With the Movement Control Order (MCO) due to Covid 19 pandemic extende...
- For PT3 and SPM holders who are interested in technical, vocational, a...
- Do you like serving as a volunteer or facilitator at a youth camp? Are...
- In the 11th Malaysia Plan (2016-2020) ‘Anchoring Growth on People’...
- Finding the best career means you have to start with finding the right...