Step UP with an Education in STEM
by StudyMalaysia.com on December 7, 2015 | Top Stories
If you're thinking about going for a career in science, technology, engineering or mathematics, this is the perfect time. STEM is a fast growing area that offers many opportunities. STEM is everywhere – it's part of our everyday lives and will continue to shape our future.
Also, if you're considering an engineering career in particular, Malaysia needs more engineers in the construction and infrastructure sectors. According to Datuk Lim Chow Hock, president of the Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM), there is a shortage of qualified engineers to oversee construction projects and infrastructure development works.
Source: 7 Things to Know if You're Thinking About a STEM Career
Why you should consider a career in STEM
|Job availability – over the last 10 years, STEM jobs grew three times faster than non-STEM jobs|
|Malaysia needs more engineers in the construction and infrastructure sectors|
|On average, new STEM graduates earn more than graduates from other fields|
|Challenge yourself to make a difference by creating or improving products, treatments, or applications|
|A STEM education provides you with analytical and problem-solving skills that are transferable across various industries, and are highly sought after by employers|
|Whether you like working outdoors, in a lab, with computers, with machinery and tools, or with people, there's something for everyone in a STEM career.|
So what is STEM education?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics – but what courses come under this field of study? STEM is a very vast field that continually sees new changes and additions; to understand STEM better, let's break it down into its sub-fields.
- Life science (biology, biochemistry, environmental science)
- Physical science (physics, chemistry, earth science, space science)
Life sciences is the study of living organisms. There are many specialisations you can choose from, such as biochemistry cell biology, botany, ecology and evolution, marine science, genetics, microbiology, human biology and zoology.
Physical sciences is the studies phenomena related to the material and physical world. Chemistry is the study of the composition, structure, and the chemical transformations of matter; earth sciences is the study of the nature, composition and structure of the earth including its atmosphere and hydrosphere; and physics is the study of the laws governing the states and properties of matter and energy.
Read more: Is a STEM career for me?
Sources for this article include:
- 5 fantastic reasons to consider a STEM career
- 7 Things to Know if You're Thinking About a STEM Career
- Education Guide Malaysia, 14th edition
- ONet Online
- Why choose a STEM career?
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Here are some important things every SPM/STPM students who are applyin...
- What are your options after SPM? Choosing the right institution and co...
- In this holiday season, gifting can be so much fun – but before you ...
- In a survey on the ‘Most Affordable Cities for Students between 2016...
- Find out what the top universities in Asia are according to the Times ...