How to begin your search for the right course after SPM (Updated)
by StudyMalaysia.com on March 21, 2019 | Top Stories
Now that SPM results are out, you may be wondering how to choose a suitable course to further your studies. There are many things to consider and you should explore all your options before making a decision.
Making Your Decision
If you are a school leaver who has just completed the SPM exam, whether you are from the arts or science stream, you will have four major considerations when making a decision
- To decide on the level of education (e.g. whether you’d like to study for a certificate; diploma; or a pre-university programme that enables you to pursue year 1 of a bachelor’s degree. You can also consider an American Degree Program; a Teacher Training Programme; a semi-professional or professional qualification; and many more.)
- To decide on the type of institution (e.g. public universities, private universities, foreign university branch campuses, etc.)
- To decide on the field of study and qualification (courses can be grouped into arts-based courses, science-based courses, or career-based courses)
- To decide whether to go directly into the job market
It is of paramount importance for school leavers to choose a right study choice for further education. While some have made up their minds on which education route to take, many are still undecided. For the latter, how should they begin their search?
Among all the considerations stated above, the most important factor is choosing the field of study that matches your interests.
What are fields of study and why do they matter?
Courses offered at universities and colleges can be grouped under some 27 fields of study. A field of study consists of a broad area of academic and skills qualifications or courses that come under a similar branch of subject knowledge. In addition, courses offered under each field of study require similar academic entry requirements.
By finding out which field of study you are interested in, you will be able to determine a good career match for yourself. Your career goal may fit into one field, or you may also find that you're interested in several different fields of study. If that is the case, it is still often possible to bring these fields together to find a career that is a good fit.
To make sure you have made a good choice, the field of study you have chosen should fit with your interests and prepare you for the career you want. Once you have decided on the field of study, find out which higher education institutions offer the courses or qualifications that matches your career goal. There would be different education levels of study – such as certificate or diploma or bachelor’s degree – that you need to complete before you end up with the dream career of your chosen field.
Here’s an overview of the 27 Fields of Study:
- Accounting and finance
- Agriculture, forestry, fisheries and veterinary
- Architecture and building
- Arts and design
- Audio-visual techniques and media production
- Business management and administration
- Communication and broadcasting
- Engineering and engineering trades
- Environmental protection
- Hospitality and tourism
- Manufacturing and processing
- Marketing and sales
- Mathematics and statistics
- Medicine and healthcare
- Medical diagnostic and treatment technology
- Occupational health and hygiene services
- Personal services
- Science (Biological science and physical science)
- Security services
- Social sciences
- Social services
- Transport services
To get more details on the 27 fields of study and the courses offered under each field, go to this online resource developed by StudyMalaysia: Part 5: Fields of Study - Find out which one matches your interest
How the StudyMalaysia Media Group helps SPM school leavers
If you want to know WHAT and WHERE to study in Malaysia without leaving your home, visit this most trusted website www.studymalaysia.com! Knowing what courses are available in the market and where to get reliable course information offered by Malaysia’s public universities and private higher educational institutions are important.
So what can you find on the website?
Some of the features in the website include:
- Course search - This helps you to search for a wide range of courses (public universities, polytechnics and private higher educational institutions) at the click of a mouse
- Institution search - Search for institutions of your choice easily
- Career Guide - Get more insight on how to make the right career choice
- Top Stories - Be among the first to know about the latest study choices, career information and education development
- Latest Scholarship - Equipped with a search function, this section contains information on various types of financial aid
- Event Calendar - Check out the latest events happenings around you: college activities, exhibitions, road shows, and others
- Articles on Study Opportunities - Useful write-up on study opportunities in Malaysia
- Enquiry and Applying for a Course Online – Send your enquiries to the institutions that interest you or apply for admission to a course by submitting your application form and document online
- Helpdesk - Need help? Visit out Helpdesk with your questions on what and where to study
StudyMalaysia.com Facebook Page
Our Facebook page has attracted more than 78,000 fans. Join us on Facebook today to get regular updates on scholarships, news on educational development in Malaysia, and answers to your study queries.
Like the page at www.facebook.com/studymsia.
Sources: Education Guide Malaysia 15th Edition, published by Challenger Concept (M) Sdn Bhd)
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Attention school leavers! Applying for scholarships? Check this list...