|Deadline||19th October 2017|
|Organisation Type||Private Sector / Organisation|
|Study Local or Abroad?||International|
Jardine Matheson established an educational trust, the Jardine Foundation, in 1982 to mark its 150th Anniversary. Since then over 260 scholars have been granted awards to enable them to study in preferred Colleges at Oxford and Cambridge Universities in the United Kingdom. Scholars have come from a number of countries and territories in which the Jardine Matheson Group operates, including Cambodia, mainland China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
The Jardine Foundation is now open for applications from students who are applying to the preferred Colleges at Oxford and Cambridge Universities for the academic year commencing in 2018.
Criteria for Selection:
We are seeking students who can show an excellent academic performance and the personal qualities and character which demonstrate leadership and fellowship. We shall take into consideration achievements in non-curricular activities, including sports, and their level of community involvement.
The Scholarship will be:
- Tenable primarily at Oxford and Cambridge Universities for first degree courses in the following preferred Colleges:
Oxford: Exeter, Oriel, The Queen’s and Trinity
Cambridge: Downing, Magdalene, Peterhouse and Trinity
- For a period of three years or four years, as appropriate;
- Sufficient in amount to cover fees, tuition, books, equipment, board and lodging and living expenses, as well as travel expenses to and from the University at the start and at the end of the course;
- Conditional upon the candidates being selected for and taking up a place in one of the preferred Colleges, with the Colleges themselves having absolute discretion in the acceptance of candidates.
- Normally be within seven years of having completed their secondary school education at the date of entry to the University; single and in a satisfactory state of health;
- Be resident in, or have sufficient connection with, any of the countries or territories in which the Jardine Matheson Group has significant business interests, so as to be regarded as applicants from the respective country or territory. These include primarily Cambodia, mainland China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. Generally, the Scholarship Committee will not accept applications from candidates whose parents have not resided in the relevant country or territory for at least seven years prior to the proposed date of entry to University;
- Apply through Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) for entry to one of the above Colleges prior to applying for the Scholarship and sit the relevant University entrance examination, if this is required;
- Male applicants from Singapore must complete or be exempted from National Service.
Method of Application:
- Applications must be received by the Secretaries of the Jardine Foundation on or before Thursday, 19th October 2017. Late applications will NOT be accepted.
- Application forms can be downloaded HERE or can be obtained by writing to the Secretaries of The Jardine Foundation at G.P.O. Box 70, Hong Kong, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants must fill in the attached application form and submit it, directly or through their secondary schools, together with the following:
- A personal statement describing the applicant’s objectives, aspirations, plans after graduation and particulars of their extra-curricular activities, including sports, and their level of community involvement (in not more than 700 words);
- A recent passport-size photograph;
- A copy of the completed UCAS application form; and
- Certified copies of GCSE, A/AS Level and IB transcripts, or of equivalent qualifications subject to the examination system of the relevant country or territory as and when it is available. These include, but not limited to, HKDSE certificates, SPM or STPM certificates, and SKHU certificates.
- For applicants attending secondary school or the equivalent, applications must include a testimonial signed by the school principal setting out:
- The applicant’s achieved and/or predicted academic results;
- Remarks which will assist the Scholarship Committee in its assessment; and
- Any other relevant information for the application.
- For applicants who have graduated from their secondary school, applications must be submitted, together with references, directly or through the principal of the secondary school, or the equivalent, which the applicant last attended.
- Please send the completed applications with supporting documents listed above direct to:
The Secretaries, The Jardine Foundation
c/o Jardine Matheson (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Suite 7.01, Level 7 Wisma E&C, No. 2 Lorong Dungun Kiri, Bukit Damansara,
50490 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1) Preliminary Interviews
While the preliminary evaluation of each application will be based on the details submitted by applicants in writing, shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend a first interview, and in some cases a second interview, when they will be screened by a pre-selection committee whose decision will be final.
For certain local applicants, first interviews will be held in their place of residence:
Malaysia - Early/mid-November 2017
For other applicants*, first interviews will be available in the following places:
Malaysia - Early December 2017
* Applicants who are unable to attend first interviews in their place of residence must specify their preferred place of first interview in the application form. (It also applies to applicants from Hong Kong, mainland China, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia who are studying abroad.)
2) Final Selection
The final selection will require applicants to attend a personal interview conducted by the Scholarship Committee before 5th January 2018 in Hong Kong. Applicants who have not been invited for an interview before that date should consider the application unsuccessful. Applicants who cannot attend the final interview in Hong Kong will not be considered. Decisions by the Scholarship Committee are final.
For full details of the Scholarship, please visit www.jardine-foundation.org