Ramadan Recipes - Murtabak Royale
by StudyMalaysia.com on May 23, 2019 | Top Stories
If you’re looking for some recipes to help you prepare for iftar or sahur during the holy month of Ramadan, Berjaya University College and StudyMalaysia have teamed up to offer you a series of recipes that help you stay healthy and energized.
Murtabak or Martabak, is a stuffed pan-fried bread which pretty much resembles roti canai with a delectable spiced minced meat filling. Besides Malaysia, this delicacy is commonly found in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, India, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei and Thailand.
This multi-layer pan-fried bread makes a filling snack or meal. In Malaysia, there is no specific time where murtabak can be served. Malaysians eat murtabak all day long and all year round.
This murtabak recipe is a family recipe handed down generations before. It sounds totally delicious! What are you waiting for? Get that pan cracking!
Tools and equipment needed
- A non -stick pan of 24 cm in diameter
- A large cutting board (to fold the murtabak)
- A turner large enough to turn the murtabak while frying
- A bowl to mix the savory filling and egg mixture
- A tray lined with paper towels to place murtabak after frying
Dough or the skin:
1 packet of ready-made, large size spring roll skin (40 pcs)
Normally sold in the Asian frozen food products at the supermarket
- 300 g minced chicken, beef or lamb or even seafood
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger (chopped fine)
- 2 tbsp kurma powder seasoning
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 Spanish onions, diced (chopped coarsely)
- Cut coarsely coriander leaves – 200g
- Cut coarsely spring onions
- 8 eggs, beaten
- pinch of sugar and salt to taste (a powdered chicken stock may be substituted)
- oil for cooking
Direction for cooking savory filling:
- Heat a saute pan with some cooking oil
- Saute chopped garlic, ginger and onion until fragrant and slightly caramelized (brown)
- Add curry and kurma powder and saute well for two minutes
- Add minced chicken or beef
- Add seasonings to taste, set aside to cool.
Prep: 30min › Cook: 8 -10min each Ready in: 45 minutes
- For the first layer:
- Place a piece of spring roll skin on a clean cutting board.
- Mix about 5 tbsp of savory filling with 4 eggs and mix well.
- Scoop out about 2 tbsp of filling and egg mixture and place in the center of the skin.
- Spread the filling but not too near the edges.
- Fold by taking the corner tip of the skin to meet in the center, like an envelope fold, thus covering the filling inside.
- On a heated pan, drizzle some olive oil and fry the first layer of murtabak until brown on both sides. Take it out of the pan and set aside.
- For the second layer:
- Take another piece of the skin and place on the cutting board.
- Scoop out 2 tbsp of the filling egg mixture and place in the center just like the first one.
- Place the already fried first layer of the murtabak over the filling of the second layer.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp of the filling and place it on top of the first layer
- Fold the same way as the first one but this time covering the first layer
- Fry the same way as the first one.
- You may add more eggs and the rest of the filling when the first mixture began to deplete.
- For the third layer:
- Repeat the same process as the previous layers.
- Now you will get a three layer pan-bread with full of savory fillings.
- Please control the heat in the medium range in order to avoid the thin soring roll skin to be easily burnt.
The recipe yields 10 portions of 80g to 100g each.
- The murtabak may be cut diagonally in order to get four perfect portion size triangles.
- The triangles can be cut into smaller ones if serving as an appetizer or cocktail finger food.
- On a serving plate of any size and shape of platter, place some salad greens.
- Place the cut murtabak and arrange as you wish, either standing upright or slanted at an angle.
- It is advisable to serve murtabak with a curry gravy consisting of onions and diced potatoes.
- Sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes and a sprig of mint leaves will top off the presentation well.
You May Also Be Interested In...
- The results for the QS World University Rankings® 2018 is out. Find o...
- The speaking test for students sitting for the PT3 exam will begin in ...
- The hospitality, tourism and culinary arts industry is built on provid...
- KPM bursary students (year 2013) who have completed their GCE A Level ...