Exploring 27 Fields of Study: In which field does your interest lie?
by StudyMalaysia.com on September 7, 2022 | Top Stories
1. Getting to know what the 27 fields of study are:
This career article introduces students, school counsellors and concerned parents to the 27 fields of study @ https://studymalaysia.com/career-guide/ and their aims:
- Helps students understand in a systematic and structured way the world of study disciplines available at universities and colleges at undergraduate level. Courses offered at universities and colleges are grouped under 27 fields of study which correspond to the 27 faculties at tertiary level. A field of study consists of a broad area of academic and skills qualifications that come under a similar branch of subject knowledge. In addition, courses offered under each field of study require almost similar academic entry requirements.
- Helps student identify their field of interest enabling them to move on confidently to determine a suitable course of study or qualification to pursue under this. The right course choice will lead them to a career that fulfils their career goals.
Here is the list of the 27 Fields of Study:
- Accounting and finance
- Agriculture, forestry, fisheries and veterinary
- Architecture and building
- Arts and design
- Audio-visual techniques and media production
- Business and administration
- Communication and broadcasting
- Engineering and engineering trades
- Environmental protection and conservation
- Hospitality and tourism
- Manufacturing and processing
- Marketing and sales
- Mathematics and statistics
- Medicine and health
- Medical diagnostic and treatment technology
- Occupational health and safety
- Personal services
- Science (Biological sciences and physical sciences)
- Security and protective services
- Social sciences
- Social services
- Transport services
2. How can this article help you in your search for the right field of study?
There are 27 fields of study @ https://studymalaysia.com/career-guide/. Under each field of study, the study field write-up is categorised into 3 parts:
- Part 1: Explanation about the field of study
- Part 2: Possible occupations you can explore under this field
- Part 3: List of courses offered by institutions under this field of study
(Note 1: The courses offered by the participating institutions are sorted and distributed
according to their respective 27 fields of study.)
(Note 2: Courses in this Section are listed by levels of education ranging from certificate,
diploma to bachelor degree level - choose the level according to the study pathway and
This Section provides students and school counsellors a description for each field of study, the
specific subject knowledge required to study the courses, the possible careers under this field of study, the list of courses and their corresponding course providers.
3. Getting to know your field of interest and its benefits
You can begin your search for the right study courses by exploring to determine which fields out of the 27 fields you have an interest in @ https://studymalaysia.com/field-of-study/. When you know your fields of interest, you will be able to move on further to determine a suitable course of study or qualification to pursue that will lead to a career that fulfils your career goal and prepares you for your dream career. Finally, follow up by identifying which higher education institutions offer these courses and the level of study that match your needs and budget.
4. Interest Assessment activity
Here are Steps to search for the right field of study https://studymalaysia.com/field-of-study/
Step 1: First, explore the entire 27 fields to scan through the description, subject knowledge to study, possible careers and list of courses for each field;
Step 2: Next, narrow down from the 27 fields to a few that you have an interest in. To make sure you have made a good choice, the field of study you have chosen or shortlisted should fit with your interests and prepare you for the career you want.
Step 3: Once you have decided on the field of study, find out which courses offered under this field match your career goal, and the corresponding course providers in your targeted field.
Step 4: Choose those course providers who offer the course and the education level of the course that match your career goal and needs. There may be different levels of study - such as certificate or diploma or bachelor’s degree.
This “Assessment Activity - Guiding you to land on the right course choice out of 27 fields of study” aims to help students to understand the world of study disciplines available at universities and colleges at undergraduate level. This section helps students to determine (by shortlisting) which field out of the 27 fields they have an interest in. Thereafter, when you have identified your interested field, you will be able to move on confidently to determine a suitable course of study or qualification under this field to pursue. The right course choice will lead you to a career that fulfils your career goals.
5. Useful tool for parents and career counsellors
Besides helping students, this 27 Fields of Study assessment activity is also a great tool that complements the efforts of school career counsellors and parents in guiding their students and children respectively towards making a good study choice at tertiary level. Parents can also use it as a guide to check if their children are ready for a particular field of study.
The bottom line is, by going through https://studymalaysia.com/career-guide/ or myCOURSE Guide (3rd edition 2022/2023), published by STUDYMALAYSIA, we are convinced students will not be leaving their educational pursuits to chance but to wise and deliberate considerations.
myCOURSE Guide (3rd edition 2022/2023), published by STUDYMALAYSIA
You May Also Be Interested In...
Careers in AV techniques and media productionAudio visual and media production jobs involve operating, maintaining ...