Courses and careers in Marketing and Sales
Looking for a career in marketing and sales?
Here is a list of courses you could take in Malaysia. Click on a course to find out more – If you have questions, you can reach the college or university directly by submitting an Enquiry Form.
Source: Education Guide Malaysia (14th Edition), published by Challenger Concept
8 signs you could be a natural at marketing:
- You are a great communicator
- You like to watch advertisements as much as the movie/programme
- You’re not afraid of change
- You are obsessed about how people spend their money
- You don’t mind working long hours
- You work well with different types of people
- Your friends always ask for your opinion when they want a product review
- You know when the latest products are launched
- You’re up-to-date with the latest trends
- You’re detailed in your work and a great planner
What’s the difference (and similarities) between sales and marketing jobs? Here’s a comparison of a few careers:
Marketing and sales
We often hear the term ‘sales and marketing’ used as a single unit. However, while some companies have a combined sales and marketing department, others have two distinct departments that manage sales and marketing separately. So what’s the difference between these two departments?
Well, let’s begin with what marketing is: generally, it’s all about reaching out and communicating to your prospects about the value of a product, service or brand. Marketing promotes your product or service to generate more sales and new customers.
In contrast, the sales process is about building relationships and closing the sale. It could mean selling something on the spot or working for weeks (or even months) to get a signed agreement or contract. Sales and marketing go hand in hand – both elements are essential for a business to succeed.
The interest code for most marketing and sales careers is EC (Enterprising, Conventional):
Enterprising — Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.
Conventional — Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.
What do you do in marketing?
A career in marketing could involve part or all of these aspects: market analysis, distribution channels, competitor analysis, pricing strategies, promotional strategies, sales tracking, and budgeting. These could be carried out through advertising, public relations, social media, relationship marketing, brand marketing, viral marketing, and direct mail.
What do you do in sales?
People who work in sales all have one goal – to make the customers’ needs match what the company (seller) offers. They also have to meet their sales targets. Their role is usually one that engages interpersonal interaction which is done through a one-on-one meeting, cold calls, and networking.
|Job Title||Job Description||Interest Code||Similar Job Titles|
|Advertising and Promotions Manager||
|Customer Service Representative||
- Is a career in marketing and sales for me?
- Marketing jobs that didn't exist before the Internet
- Marketing and sales – a career of many opportunities
Sources for this article include:
- Diffen, Marketing vs Sales
- Education Guide Malaysia 14th edition
- The Apprentice Academy
- Marketing vs. Sales
- O*NET Online
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Do checkout if your country is included in the list before applying. D...
- Interior designers and decorators are involved in the design or renova...
Step by step guide for international students: a timeline of what you need to do when coming to MalaysiaAre you an IGCSE (or A-levels and its equivalent) student planning on ...
- Perhatian buat pelajar lepasan SPM / STPM dan Setaraf yang bercadang u...
- The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) announced the results of MyQUE...
- Want to know which schools and universities have the confidence of con...